Pad See Ew
A popular dish in Thailand Pad see ew has minimal ingredients and is easy to make it is also focused on BIG noodles
Ingredients (for 2 people)
- 2 tablespoons oil for frying
- 3 cloves garlic
- 300 grams fresh wide rice noodles (sen yai) (Slightly less than 1 slab of your noodle pack – 1/4 to a 1/3rd of pack)
- 1.5 to 2 breasts of chicken (or you could use any meat of your choice)
- Broccoli, for authentic use a handful of chopped Chinese broccoli
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons of fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Garnish with chili flakes, pepper, and vinegar if you like
MAYBE also add 1/2 tbsp of oyster sauce for body?
- Mix the soy and fish sauce together and marinade the meat (just for the time it takes you to do the prep of the other ingredients)
- Separate the noodles – comb through them if fresh – if dry then add them to a flat dish and cover with water.
- Prep the veg – garlic for crushing and Broccoli
- Heat the wok, till it is baking and add about 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Wait until the oil is hot, and then fry the garlic for about 10 seconds or so, making sure it sizzles in the hot oil.
- Add the chopped chicken to the wok, (keep the leftover sauce for later) stir fry until it is cooked through (1-2 mins)
- Add the rice noodles, the broccoli and pour over any leftover sauce.
- Add ½ teaspoon of sugar.
- Fold the noodles – this is done by picking them up with the spatula from the bottom, and folding them over (If you stir fry too hard, the stickiness from the noodles can make them turn into a big noodle blob)
- Cook the noodles for about 1 -2 minutes. If they get a little dry, you can drizzle in a tiny bit of oil.
- Once the noodles are well mixed, move them to one side of the wok
Pour in a little oil
Crack an egg and mix it
- Scramble the egg, and then fold the noodles onto the egg, so they infuse in the noodles – let them sit for a moment and then fold them over again to spread the egg.
- Fry for about 30 more seconds.
- Sprinkle a little freshly ground white pepper on the top of the noodles.
- ALSO you can add chili flakes on top or vinegar for taste.